OK – I have no choice but to enter this PLN Blogging Challenge. My plan was to just pretend I missed the Tweet inviting me to take part but being invited by two superstars like Shira Leibowitz and Craig Badura has changed all of that. What’s good enough for them is good enough for me, so here I go.
- I have 4 children – 2 boys (20 & 22) and 2 girls (11 & 13) – same wife. :)
- My 4 children are named (middle names) after mountains in the Canadian Rockies. (Robson, Forbes, Cavell, & Ranee)
- My favourite movie of all time is Dances With Wolves.
- 6 feet of snow has fallen in my city so far this year.
- I love loons. I have many paintings, carvings and artifacts that depict loons.
- I coached college woman’s soccer and mens volleyball in the same year – 1989.
- I have driven across Canada and back 3 times. (I live in the far west and most of my relatives live in the far east)
- My family camped at the KOA beside Circus Circus in Las Vegas. It was $125/night.
- I try a lot of new things.
- Every member of my family blogs.
- I purchased my first ever cell phone just 3 years ago.
I am motivated by teachers who are pushing their own thinking. I love it when a teacher takes a risk and tries something new. When I see this I’m willing to do anything I can to support them.
Is the iPad a distraction in the classroom?
I think the iPad is a distraction for some teachers. Many have not figured out how to use them to support learning and build important competencies in their students. Once they figure out how to use the iPads to create, present, communicate, and connect they will no longer be a distraction. BTW, they are not a distraction for students.
In your opinion, who has been the most influential person in the history of the world?
Jesus Christ. Even those who are not religious should be able to see how he is the ultimate role model for all of us. He forgave unconditionally, he gave himself for us, he helped the less fortunate, and he loved unconditionally.
What’s one thing you have not done that you really want to do.
Meet Craig Badura and Shira Leibowitz. Enough said.
What is your happiest childhood memory?
Spending time with my dad at his hunting camp in our woodlot in Nova Scotia. Funny thing is that I never saw him shoot a deer.
What is best part about about your current job?
I really like how I have expanded my circle of influence. My work influences an entire district of teachers. :) I was worried about moving to central office but now realize that I can stay as close to the classroom as I want to. It’s up to me to keep that as a priority.
- What is one new thing you tried in the last year?
- What is the most recent educational book/resource you read, watched or listened to and why that resource?
- What do you do when you fail at something?
- What do you do when someone you are responsible for fails?
- How do you deal with stress?
- What is your favourite movie and why?
- How many Smartphones have you owned and which was your favourite?
- Other than Twitter, what/who makes up your PLN?
- What does collaboration mean to you?
- Who would you recommend I follow on Twitter?
- What did you have for breakfast this morning?